Thursday, March 09, 2006

The room has a tell

When I got to the Muck on Tuesday night there were five open tables. That can only mean one thing. A glance at the board confirmed it: The massive jackpot, approaching $300,000 last week, had been hit since my last visit. The new total: only $144,000.

I didn't get all the details, but apparently it went off Saturday afternoon in a $4-8 game, with regulars getting the big and small ends of nearly $150,000 and $75,000. That always makes the room happy, the suggestion, I guess, that at least some of the cash will make its way back into the local poker economy.

It hasn't been too long since $144k -- the amount of the reset, backup jackpot -- would have seemed like a pretty attractive target. But on Tuesday nobody seemed interested. The place was weirdly quiet.

My game was decent but I was extremely card dead. On several occasions I made a hand, like flopping two pair, only to lose to runner-runner cards. And that happens. A couple of times, I see in retrospect, I let my boredom or frustration get the better of me and stuck around longer or pushed harder than I should have, with predictably bad results.

Overall, not a good night. I got out of there with four white chips left of the two racks I purchased. Adding back the six chips I spent on my fried rice, that amounts to a $190 loss. Ouch.