Sunday, January 22, 2006

Difficult pot-odds calculation

What are the odds of the same straight flush hitting twice?

When I was at the Muck on Monday I played 8-7 of clubs in late position with three callers in front of me and, at this $4-8 table, the blinds unlikely to raise. The flop came down Kh-10c-6c ... not a bad start. After check-check there was a bet in front of me; I just smooth called, hoping to keep everyone in. The turn was the lovely 9 of clubs, giving me the straight flush and, I could only hope, making a big flush for someone else.

Like clockwork, the BB bet out -- a lone king, it was revealed later -- so I raised, and the solid player behind me called. The river was a blank, but my bet got called again by the king-high flush to my left.

Straigh-flush ticket on Table 1! At the Muck, when you make a straight flush your name goes in the hat for a weekly drawing that grows by $100 every time the winner isn't there to claim it. This week's drawing is $900. So far so good.

The dilemma comes from the timing. Tonight's drawing is at 7 p.m., which is right about the time the Seahawks-Panthers NFC championship game will be ending. Do I leave home before the end of the game to catch the drawing? Blow it off? Which of these?

With an estimated 35-40 straight-flush tickets in the barrell I'm not exactly a favorite, but I know from experience the horrible feeling of skipping the drawing only to show up later and see that my name had been pulled.

If you don't go to the drawing, your only play is to root against yourself winning.

It's opening kickoff right now and I still haven't decided.