Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Not a rouser

No big pots or horrible beats to report from tonight's forgettable session at the Muck. Just a normal, moderately loose, not overly aggressive $4-8 table.

I nursed my rack all night without strong cards -- down $40, up $40, like that -- until missing a couple of flops or draws late in the evening and finding myself with only about 40 chips left. That's when a drunk guy who'd been pushing a lot of hands found himself with the kill button in early position and made it $16 to go. The solid player on my right cold-called and I decided to do the same with my pocket 9s. Depending on the texture of the flop, I decided, I could make a move or get out without further investment.

Happily, it came down J-9-8, giving me a set, but the jack and 8 were spades and the straight possibility was unfortunate. The raiser bet out, middle player called and I raised. They both called. On the turn, a king of spades, I got my last few chips in and the original better raised to drive out the sandwiched guy. When the river brought a fourth spade the original better turned over his queen of spades to go with a red ace, beating my 9 of spades.

Ha la la. I called it a night, down a rack (really only $93 after subtracting the seven chips I paid for dinner). In my dreams tonight that fourth spade will pair the board and everything will be right with the world.