Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I hope they never hit the jackpot

It's at $272k tonight, my third night in a row at the Muck, and while it would be incredible to catch even a table share I'm having a pretty good time just skimming the extra action.

It reminds me of some kind of nature show where an unusual bloom of algae kick-starts an entire food-chain feeding frenzy. Looking around the room tonight at the regulars -- the better players, I'm talking about -- you could almost see them licking their lips. Everyone knows that if they wait for the right moments they're going to walk away with the jackpot chasers' cash. There are more people in more pots playing worse cards, and that's just got to be good for the game.

I had a pretty lucky night. The first hand I played was pocket kings in a kill pot, and they held up for a decent win. I was never down all night. I could have done better, but I got tired and made a couple of mistakes. Twice I bet into the nuts on the river and got check-raised, and then felt compelled to pay it off.

Still, I won $193 and left close to my high for the night.